Posts Tagged ‘Pig Candy Peanut Brittle’
Sticking with my theme of pig candy decadence this week I also made peanut brittle. A few years ago a friend of mine gave me the simplest and easiest Microwave peanut brittle recipe. It does not get any easier and does not require a Candy thermometer. It has always turned out well for me. I haven’t gone back to the stove top method since.
The recipe can be found on many sites. Here is the recipe I use:
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup light or dark corn syrup ( I use light)
- 1 cup salted Virginia peanuts or hazelnuts, walnuts etc. (if they are unsalted add 1/2 tsp salt to recipe)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pig candy
- Combine sugar and corn syrup in a glass bowl and microwave on high 4-5 minutes. *Please note I am using my vintage Pyrex red Christmas bowl for this. I love it. I have dishes that bring back fond memories every time I pull them out use them and this one makes me smile every time I use it* Stir in peanuts and microwave on high 3 -4 minutes more until the peanuts take on a darker golden color. Then stir in butter and vanilla and microwave for 2 minutes. Stir in pig candy and microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir in baking soda until light and foamy and thoroughly mixed. Pour onto cookie sheet lined with greased parchment paper and spread thin. Cool for 1 hour then break into pieces. Can be stored in a sealed container (in the fridge due to the bacon) for up to a month.