Piri Piri Maple Pecan Smoked & Grilled Chicken Wings
- 5 pounds chicken wings, rinsed and dried
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon piri piri powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ cup hot sauce (or more to taste; use your favourite and the hottest sauce you can stand)
- ¼ cup finely chopped pecans
Make a rub by mixing the pepper, onion powder piri piri powder, garlic powder, and seasoned salt in a bowl to blend.
Place the chicken wings in a large zippered plastic bag. Pour in the dry rub and shake to coat the wings well. Marinate for at least 30 minutes (at room temperature) or as long as 24 hours (in the refrigerator).
Prepare your grill by using indirect heat. One side turned to high heat the other side remains off. Place a smoker packet on the side that is on high towards the back and wait till it starts to smoulder. Place the wings on the side that is not on and smoke for 15-20 minutes. Turn the wings and smoke for another 15-20 minutes. Remove the smoker packet and grill the wings for 1-2 minutes on high heat to char lightly.
Mix the honey, butter, hot sauce and pecans in a small saucepan on the side burner just until combined and warmed through.
Toss the ribs in the glaze mixture and serve immediately.