Some of the snow has actually melted in my backyard. We still have about 3-4 feet in places.Ugh. Its just never ending with potentially more snow coming on Saturday. Oh my goodness. It just needs to stop.
I walked by a gorgeous pile of lemons at the market and I just had to make something lemony.
I love whole chicken smoked and stuffed with aromatics. This recipe will perk up your taste buds and bring a little bit of sunshine into your day. Even if you still can’t see your lawn under all that snow. I love the leftovers for this as well. I purposely made 2 whole chickens just so I could have shredded chicken, lettuce and tzatziki wraps the next day.
Luscious & Lemony Greek smoked Chicken
- 2 Whole Chickens 3-4lbs each
- 2 lemons zested then quartered
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Greek oregano
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rubbed thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
In a medium bowl whisk oil, lemon juice, zest, oregano, thyme, parsley, garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper. On a baking tray coat the chicken in the marinade and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Prepare you grill for medium heat indirect. (300F)
Place quarters of lemons into the cavity of the chickens then place on grill indirect.
Grill indirect until the internal temperature of the thigh and leg meat is 180 and the breast 165F approximately 2 hours.
I used hickory pellets in my Traeger for this chicken.
Rest tented lightly for 10 minutes prior to carving.
Serve with tzatziki sauce, grilled pita bread and salad. I bought my Tzatziki sauce the day I made this but the following is my go to recipe for the homemade version.
- 2 cups whole fat Greek yogurt
- 1 large English cucumber seeded, peeled and very finely minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- zest and juice from one lemon
- generously salt & pepper to taste
In a medium sized bowl mix all ingredients. Taste test then add salt and pepper. Set aside in fridge for a minimum of 4 hours or even overnight.