Its no secret that I have a serious fondness for Thermapens. They are rated as one of my all time favorite BBQ/Kitchen gadgets. Thanks to the generosity of Thermoworks I now own their brand new Thermapen !! It just came in the mail today. The Backlit Thermapen solves a dilemma I have had at many comps and that is being able to see when I am temping my meats in the middle of the night without holding a flashlight in one hand. Plus its red. Happy Happy Happy.
Serious outdoor chefs can now enjoy all the advantages of the Super-Fast Thermapen even in the dark! Cheaper Chinese knock-offs trade unacceptable levels of wasted batteries. The best of them gives you only 10 hours on a set of three massive AAA cells! Really? 10 hours? (They’re so embarassed by this they stopped publishing battery life in their specs.)
In typical Thermapen-fashion, our UK engineers have designed a button-less intelligent backlight system. When the Thermapen is on, a new display sensor continuously monitors ambient light levels. As it gets darker, the backlight comes on automatically so you can read the digits in any light condition. With this power-saving strategy, battery life is only reduced to a minimum of 100 hours even when the backlight is in continuous use. If only used in the light, the miniature CR2032 cells still last 1500 hours! Your actual battery life will be somewhere in between depending on the amount of night cooking you do. And, there’s no button to push. You don’t even need to think about it.
The only professional choice in a folding thermocouple, the Thermapen is still the fastest, definitely the most accurate, and now the only one with an intelligent backlit option. Available in Red, White and Blue colors.
Click here to order yours!
Visiting a BBQ Competition?
Here are a few tips on BBQ Etiquette
- BBQ Teams have paid to compete – please note most take it seriously. Teams pay for everything from the competition fee to the meats and supplies.
- IF you see someone walking a turn in box (usually a 9×9 Styrofoam box) please move out of their way.
- IF you see someone walking a tray of food items please move out of their way.
- Do not under any circumstances ever take any food from tables within a competition site without asking first. Most competitions do not allow public sampling. Please visit the vendors to purchase food and support the event.
- Be respectful of the competition sites. Do not cut through a team’s site to get to another section of the competition area. That’s like walking through someone’s house.
- Mind your manners, your pets and your children. Children and their parents should be aware that there are hot grills and sharp knives at every site. Do not let your children or dogs run around team sites. Do not let your drunk friends run around team sites either.
- Do not touch another person’s grills ever…. without asking first.
- The clock rules everything at a competition. Teams need to turn in items on a specific schedule. During those turn in times teams may not want to have a conversation or stop to talk. It is nothing personal. These times are approximately 1130am-2pm however at each contest times can vary.
- Please ask before taking pictures of teams preparing their entries or of the teams themselves. Some teams would rather not have pictures of their items out in the public.
- Some events have adult beverage tents. Please enjoy responsibly.
- There are quiet hours at every BBQ contest. Please respect them.
- Please come out to the awards ceremony and cheer for all the teams. The more the merrier.
- Ask questions from teams in the non-busy hours. We love to talk about all things BBQ.
- Visit team websites like www.divaq.ca & www.kcbs.us for more information about competition BBQ.
Its always a fun day to talk all day long about why you love BBQ. Makes for a fun way to spend a Saturday.
Plus there was also a contest where teams competed in 3 categories, appetizer, entree and dessert. There were some really excellent entries. Very creative ! My Co-Judge was Dale Smith from Kool FM Radio Dale is a really great cook and loves to grill. We also had other judges through the day as well join us.
Lots of hard work went into setting up the fun competition and Georgian Hot Tubs did an excellent job along with the Traeger Canada Team
The winner of the contest was Don McLaurin ! Congratulations to all those who entered. We were lucky to escape rain almost the entire day!
Well I had one heck of a week! It was so much fun as I crossed Canada with Char-Broil and did media for them and the Char-Broil TRU Infrared Grills.
We started out in the beautiful city of Vancouver British Columbia!
Check out the link for our segment on grilling up some delicious chicken and a grilled caesar salad HERE
Then right to the Country 105 Radio station for The RHODES Show!
Then once again right to the airport for a flight from Calgary to Chicago then on to Memphis. Ugh. Thats where a whole bunch of lightning unfortunately delayed my plane and sadly I ended up arriving a day late into Memphis. (This seriously impeded my visiting with friends plans and cocktail aspirations) Got stuck in Chicago for the night. ]
Now why was I headed to Memphis ?? Well Memphis in May of course one of the BIG contests.
The Char-Broil TRU Tour goes each year!
It is a lof of fun to visit with the Crew plus then we get to BBQ with The Weather Channel throughout the morning and have a lot of grilling fun with host Paul Goodloe
You can follow Paul on his Facebook page
It was a blast of course – who doesn’t love grilling & BBQ.? All of the recipes for the segments can be found here!
After the segments I got some time to visit with friends from all over !
Congratulations to Sweet Swine o MINE!! Memphis in May World Champions for 2013
Its a epic holiday where an overabundance of flowers buffets and cards abound.
Here are some suggestions on what to give your MOM this weekend:
Start with a cocktail….
Seriously this amazing cocktail comes from a kickass MOM – Dee from Cocktail Deeva She rocks the cocktail world, wears fab shoes and knows her stuff inside and out! Make sure you visit her website often. She is guaranteed to make you laugh and love her cocktail concoctions.
2 oz Watermelon Vodka
2 oz lemon juice 1/2 oz simple syrup (equal parts sugar/warm water)
3 slices cucumber
2 mint leaves
Shake vodka, juice, syrup and mint leaves with ice. Serve in a martini glass with ice. Garnish with cucumber floating on the top of cocktail. This cocktail is best made up ahead of time so mint and cucumber flavours can infuse infuse into the cocktail. So make up a pitcher the day before and invite the other Momʼs over to enjoy some if that TIME you asked for…
Make her dinner & clean up the kitchen.
Grilled up some Veggies (I ♥ Asparagus) with Roasted Garlic Chipotle Dipping Sauce:
Roasted Garlic & Chipotle Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup Good quality Mayonnaise
- 1 Bulb of roasted Garlic (approx. 10 cloves)
- 3 Chipotles in adobo sauce
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
Place ingredients into a food processor. Pulse till incorporated well. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve with grilled meats, vegetables or fish.
Serve her some beautiful seafood – planked roasted garlic & tomato scallops
or some great herb crusted prime rib:
Finish the meal with a sinfully good dessert.
Nutella Dessert Pizza
For the Crust:
- 750-g fresh pizza dough
- ¼ cup Cornmeal for dusting
For the Toppings:
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1 cup Mini Marshmallows
- ½ cup Pecan pieces
- ½ cup Strawberry slices
- ½ cup Skor toffee bits
- ½ cup Chocolate chunks or chips
- Whipped Cream & icing sugar for garnish
Bring pizza dough to room temperature as per package instructions. Remove from bag; divide into 2 balls.
On lightly floured surface, pull and shape into 2 pizzas, about 9 inches (23 cm) wide. Crimp edges as you would with pie. Prick dough all over with fork tines. Let rest at room temperature 30 minutes.
Spread Nutella onto each pizza, and then layer each with mini marshmallows, pecans, skor toffee bits, chocolate chunks.
Place pizzas onto cornmeal or flour-dusted pizza paddle. Place on a heated cornmeal dusted pizza stone or oiled grill preheated to medium-high (about 550F/280C); close lid. Grill about 5-10 minutes until chocolate is melted. Remove from grill and cool for 1-2 minutes. Top with strawberries, whipped cream & icing sugar.
After dinner give her a gift certificate for something she LOVES. For me thats the SPA or my favorite BBQ store. Or heck you could even clean the house without being asked. You can’t give your Mom everything but something as simple as a cup of tea, a favorite book and quality quiet time to read it – may be exactly what she is looking for.
So there are so many games on each and every day! For the record…. I am an eternal optimist. I am a Toronto Maple Leafs Fan. For good or for bad its been a long 9 years…..
Lots of parties and that means super snacking and of course great munchies!!
Here are some great links to delicious munchies you can serve at your playoff parties…
Diva Q MOINK balls inspired by Larry Gaian from the BBQ Grail
MMM Shrimp & Sausage Bites - pork & seafood come together for a power packed bite of goodness!
4 Cheese ABT’s – stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon and smoked to yumminess!
Diva Q Jalapeno Dip & Grilled breads – so easy to make it should be illegal.
Chevaps – Because meat on sticks makes people happy!
Pizza Pizza Pizza – Everyone loves a good pizza.